47 Easy Ways to Make Your Home Sell Faster
Suggestions and ideas to improve your home’s appearance and help you prepare to sell it faster!
Throughout the House
- 1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the sunlight.
- 2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
- 3. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
- 4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- 5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
- 6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
- 7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
- 8. Air out your home for one-half hour before showings, if possible.
- 9. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
- 10. Put family photos in storage.
- 11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
- 12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
- 13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
- 14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
- 15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper.
- 16. Clean all light bulbs and light fixtures to brighten the home.
- 17. Wash all windows inside and out.
- 18. Use plants in transitional areas of your home.
- 19. Make the most of your attic’s potential.
- 20. Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
- 21. Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.
- 22. Remove all smoke and pet odors.
- 23. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen
- 24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
- 25. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- 26. The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
- 27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
In the Bedrooms
- 28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
- 29. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
- 30. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
- 31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathrooms
- 32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
- 33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparking white.
- 35. Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
- 36. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
- 37. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
- 38. Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patio.
- 39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture and trash from the yard.
- 40. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
- 41. Paint all entrance doors.
- 42. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
- 43. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mailbox, address number, etc.)
- 44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
- 45. Use a new doormat.
- 46. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
- 47. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.